Saturday 19 January 2013

Pumpkin Spice Donuts!

I think one of the hardest thing for us to find without artificial preservatives, colours, flavours or corn syrup is donuts.  I am pretty sure it has been at least 6 years since Jake had one.  That is a long time with donuts!  When I saw that you can buy pans to bake them in the oven I was pretty excited but of course I could not find them any where in my town.  So the next time we were in the city I found some.

I used Pamela's Baking Mix to make these.  Here is a link to the recipe that I based them on.

4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup of pumpkin
1 1/3 cups of Pamela's Baking Mix
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
couple shakes of nutmeg

Mix the first 4 ingredients together.  When well mixed add the rest.  Mix until incorporated.  Get a large ziplock or piping bag ready and fill it with the batter. 


Pipe the batter into the donut pans so each donut indentation is 2/3 full.  Don't cover the centre nub or your donuts will rise over it.

Bake in a 350F oven for about 20 minutes. 


The tops (on the right) will still be a light brown colour but the bottoms (on the left) will be much darker.

I removed them from the pan when they came out of the oven and let them cool on wire racks. 


When they cooled I put vanilla icing on them.  I started icing them however I happened to pick them up but soon realized it was easier to ice the tops because they were flatter and the bottoms were quite round.    They were then handed over to the boys who decorated them with India Tree Natural Sprinkles.

They have gotten rave reviews from everyone who has tried them!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! These look delicious. I love baking with Pamela's mixes, too. I may have to pull out my donut pan tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete